View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
If you've already drained your Inbox swamp before going through and marking projects reviewed (as recommended by DA), isn't the only way you have this issue is if you decide to do another review the same day?
Ah, I see what you mean. Yes it's true that the only time it wouldn't work at all, using the combination of the Next Review grouping and then the Changed grouping, is when I do more than one review in a day

But this'll happen more than you might think, at least for me. When I first encountered this, I'd completed a rather large review, marking a few dozen projects as reviewed, at about 1:30 in the morning. I did a daily review after my work day later that same day, to sort through some captures I'd done that day. To Omnifocus, of course, it's still the same day that it was when i did my big review the night (er, early morning) before, so everything so everything appeared in the "Today" band in the Changed grouping. Useless information.

I really have to say though, that even if this limitation wasn't there, using my script (which emulates what I think OmniFocus should be doing, or offering in a preference), it's much nicer to just be able to use the Next Review grouping to whip through all the projects, instead of also having to then use the Changed grouping afterward.

And the easier it is to do these little daily reviews and stay on top of things, the more likely I am to to them consistently, and then, I've found, the faster (and less scary) the weekly review will go too.

This is all about establishing a system that we trust, right? And I know from experience that if the system's contents are not kept clean and current, my brain won't trust it, and I'll fall behind. So for me, the system has to be so easy to use so I can use a spare moment here and there to clean things up, both the inbox and the projects too, without the system pushing back or requiring me to jump through too many hoops.

The way OmniFocus is today, it's fairly easy to stay on top of the inbox and keep it empty, using typeahead in the Project dropdown (or dragging) to siphon the inputs off into the appropriate projects. Add this script (or ideally an option in OF to nudge a project's review date whenever it's changed), and for me it's also pretty easy to review the impact those inputs are having on their respected projects and outcomes.