View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables View Post
... I'm probably over-thinking it a bit but I desperately want to get things dialed in "perfectly" so I have a smooth start ...
Why the urgency? My process of discovering how to use OmniFocus in the best way possible for me took a few months to settle. Many excellent (longer term) plans are destroyed in the pursuit of perfection (in the immediate time frame).

Quote:
Some of the items I'm struggling right now deal with categorization of certain tasks/projects. ... I'm curious how others have handled things when your projects blend between multiple areas of focus ...
My first thoughts are ... Are you depending too much on projects to define your areas of focus? What would happen if you set up your areas of focus absent any considerations about the projects you have? IOW, what would happen if you first defined fully the areas of your life that provide you with fulfillment (and what that means in each case), and then defined in each area the projects that are necessary to achieve that fulfillment in that area only.

Quote:
... I've wondered about maybe just creating a "Goals" folder and shuffling all of the things I'd like to accomplish there while keeping the personal folder specific only to my "hobbies"
Are you mixing up the sense of Goals and Projects? To me, a Goal is the driving force behind setting up Projects. I put my "goals" as general statements in a Someday "project" (example: Someday: Action Statement -> learn to play the classical guitar for personal enjoyment). When I review, I can decide whether to establish a project that will help me meet that goal.

--
JJW