View Single Post
You missed the significant part of my message, "...over a pane (as implemented by Apple)"

Apple does not include scrollbar placeholders or anything other than a pixel line in their own API for panes, so yes, there are technical barriers to having them. For OmniGroup to add additional features would require them to code them in themselves in their own framework. This would make their UI look non-OS X like and take them outside the HUI guidelines for the OS and require them to do yet more work on their app at the expense of adding features. If Apple implemented panes so that they behaved more like drawers (i.e. they are not impinged upon by the toolbar, they don't affect the content when opened and closed, can be positioned on either side of the window, etc), then that would be fine and dandy by me, but Apple doesn't.

A choice for a lot of things would be great, and, in principle I have no objections to more choice being offered (though, very often, it's the case that too much choice can lead to a confused and confusing user experience). However, my other main point was that I don't think we are going to get a choice here because Apple is very likely to remove it in favour of the more limited and less aesthetically useful panes. If not in 10.5, then probably definitely in 10.6.