View Single Post
Of all the tools I've tried, Omnifocus comes the closest to what I need: It works on a Mac, it has a somewhat lighter version for my iPod. This is going to help me make my tree farm actually work I think.

BUT I'm having trouble with series and parallel.

I've got a bunch of different contexts:
Town (errands, seeing potential customers)
Desk (Computer work, research) -- can be done in the middle of the night))
Farm (Field work, setting up infra-structure) -- limited to daylight. (And here in midwinter daylight is only 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
Shop (can be done at dark time, but shop is unheated, so hard to do when really cold.)
The net effect of contexts is that I jump around a lot depending on time of day, weather.

Now let's look at a project:
Farm Irrigation System:
* Water Pump
* * Research water pumps.
* * Order Water Pump
* * Install Water pump
* Water Filter
* * Research
* * Order
* * Install
* Pump house
* * Design
* * Pick up materials
* * Build
* Water Lines
* * Move existing line to new pumphouse.
* * Tie in to well as backup system.
* * BUY check valve to put between systems.

Each action group is sequential within it, and breaking it down into chunks like this is helping me face otherwise daunting tasks.

BUT: How do I show that the installation stage of the pumps and the filters has to wait for the pump house to be finished, but that the research and ordering can be parallel with the start of the pump house.

As another example: I buy a truckload of straw bales every year. Bales get used for making pens for my trees (so the pots don't blow over) I also break some down for mulch, use some for bedding. It is quite conceivable that I could have 3-4 projects that are on hold pending strawbale delivery.

Is there a way to show that several actions are dependent on a certain action being done before they can become active?