Thread: Task priorities
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebaltic
Wish list on prioritization...
I think I understand bluebaltic’s proposal, but let me see if I have it right.
  • Each task, project, and sub-project may be assigned a priority independently
  • In the Projects view, (optionally) list top-level projects in project-priority order; within a project, list sub-projects in sub-project-priority order (?)
  • In the Action view, group tasks by context and within a context (optionally) list tasks by task priority and project priority (i.e., within a single task priority level, the secondary sort order is by project priority)
Is that accurate? Complete? If so, I’d be quite happy with that basic strategy for priority handling.

However, many details remain to be worked out:

What tiebreaker, if any, should be used when ordering projects (or sub-projects) that have the same priority? Within a project (or sub-project), what determines the order of tasks that have priorities? Manual ordering or priority?

What should be done when some tasks or projects have priorities and some do not? That is, should tasks/projects without priority be sorted first or last? I think I would vote for last, myself, but I don’t have strong opinions about it.

How should ordering of tasks in the Action view work when there are both priorities and due dates (or even do dates)? I have seen to-do list managers that will change task priorities as a due date gets close, but I didn’t care for that system myself. Also, I think I’ve seen to-do lists where the group of tasks with due dates are listed first, followed by the group of tasks without due dates; within each group, ordering is determined by priority. I could live with that system. Another option, of course, is to order tasks first by priority, then project priority, then due date; or, priority, due date, project priority. Argh, so many choices!

Also, what do you think about a fixed set of priority labels versus allowing the user to customize the list of priority labels? kGTD allows the user to customize the list, and I like that feature.

— Tim