View Single Post
Hello, all.

I have just started using OmniGraffle, and find it a beautiful peice of functional design -- bravo, Omni-people! However, reading over the forums, it seems that this product's Achilles Heel is its near-total inability to reliably import content from other sources.

Now, it is completely understandable that Micosoft would make Visio XML a pale excuse of a "standard", so I did not really expect that method to be useful. But OmniGraffle's stock-in-trade is vector graphics, and the inability to read SVG, EPS, vector-PICT, or as far as I can tell, *any* standard vector graphics format is a complete deal-breaker.

Don't get me wrong, the drawing tools are nice, but if you want to create serious vector art, this is not the tool of choice; it's a magnificent layout and idea tool, but don't try to make your professional artist use it every day.

Attention, developers: we need the ability to import complex visual vector graphics -- it doesn't have to be Visio, but give us something!

Someone please tell me I'm wrong, and that vector graphics can be copied and pasted from Inkscape (didn't work for me), imported from a PDF written from OpenOffice (layers came out unaligned, fill patterns incorrect), imported from an Interface Builder file (anyone tried this?), or any other repeatable process.

I would buy the product, but for this sad deficiency.

:(

Thanks in advance for any advice,
-Ann