View Single Post
I did smile reading your reply. I have a MacBook air!

I propose something really simple. It's called OPTIONS! Sorry for the sarcasm but nothing I said is about FORCING people. It's about giving people options. You opt in. Or opt out. Simple! That way existing users can carry on with the attitude of business as usual. And for the rest of us - we have a tools which is far more flexible and challenge present thinking about how the software should work.

I fiercely disagree with the old school attitude about what's the best platform and what can and cannot be done. Thank goodness Steve Jobs and the Apple team threw away that attitude and relandscaped the entire mobile industry.

For me at least it's as simple as this.

If I open an email on an iOS device it should be a straight forward process to take it and task manage with it. There is absolutely no need to be using a desktop - or MacBook air - to do that kind of lifting. Attachments in iOS can use the OPEN IN feature as a bare minimum. That is just one classic example!

And to be honest - why not add an email client into omnifocus! It doesn't need to do what other email clients do. It needs to be about creating things into the tasks that we need to manage! Apple may restrict things with iOS but great software developers should innovate around it!

I agree entirely if you want to "hack" and play around with AppleScripts and many other things then yes - that is something for the desktop.

Conservative attitudes prevent innovation. Too many GTD lovers think its THE only way and cannot be enhanced or improved upon with technology. The sad thing is none of that needs to be broken. The dinasaours can relax. Great software design can add the innovation WITHOUT upsetting them.

As for iOS devices - they are perfect tools to do way more than they do today. It's the very attitude of "they are not good for...." which prevents and stifles truly GREAT innovation and steps forward in software engineering.

IMHO of course :)

Last edited by StefMercury; 2012-09-02 at 08:12 AM..