View Single Post
I think what the original poster is asking for is to have more than one way to regard/categorize a task. The concept of Context in GTD is clearly defined as the unique/most significant tool/person/setting that is needed to accomplish the task. So if I am taking my wife's phone to Radio Shack, the Context is clearly Errands : Radio Shack (if RS is the only place I can take the phone to get fixed).

So if I view the task in a Context based view/Perspective, I will see this particular task under the Errands : Radio Shack context. But maybe I want to look at all the tasks that I am doing that have to do with my wife. I could, of course, have a folder or project for my wife. This would not really resolve my problem, as:

1. I still won't be able to use the more powerful Context view
2. I am limited to 2 ways of looking/regarding a task. What if I also want to look at tasks that involve spending money. If the repair the phone requires is not covered by warranty then I might want to have a third context/category/tag.

I agree that this need is not adequately addressed, and OF users need to go through sundry roundabout solutions to address this functionality.

Omni Group has mentioned having user defined meta data, which, in my opinion, would address the need without violating GTD nomenclature (provided the meta data can be used to filter, group, sort, etc., in both Context and Project views and Perspectives).