View Single Post
In my opinion, Omnigraffle appears to be a bit confused about what it wants with pages and what they mean. I have one or two constructive gripes with Omnigraffle Pro. Yeah OG's a fantastic piece of software, helped me no end etc etc, but as a paid-up user, I think I'm entitled to my gripes too...

I'm trying to write a document with diagrams (as I imagine many people on this forum are) and this document will span many pages. There are two ways to approach the issue.

The first is to have multiple canvases. Great, you can use a master and automatically insert page numbers etc. But when you go between canvases you lose zoomage, grid spacing, who knows what else. This inconsistency rules out the multiple canvas route, as I quite like the idea of a master behind all of my canvases, especially on the page number front.

The second option is to have canvases that span multiple pages. This appears to be the logical way to go, but it's all too obvious that it's just OG splitting one large space into several pages: the grid is consistent for the whole canvas rather than for each page (as, some would argue, it should be) so you don't get the grid in the same place on each page. Also, the master maps directly onto the canvas rather than the page so the whole page numbering idea is out the window.

I respect the way that Omni has done this, and it seems logical. But for me and I'm sure a lot of people out there, there should be a middle way for creating real-world documents, not just some Object Oriented ideal that conforms to some higher concept...

So do people agree that there's missing functionality? Am I ignorant of something that's blindingly obvious? Or is there room for improvement? At the moment I'm just having to do without page templates / numbers / headers / footers which I'm quite fond of.

Whilst I'm about it, what about double- / option- clicking the zoom to enter a custom number? And how about that value persistently and globally staying in that menu?

Comments? Questions? Am I wrong? Has omni already thought of a solution for me?

Joe Wass