View Single Post
I should say up front, I don't mean this post to be flippant or inflammatory. I really want to like and use OmniFocus, but some things are bothering me.

I came to the forums today to see if anyone else wanted multiple contexts. Turns out I'm not the only one.

But then I started seeing all the examples that were given. "Call Susie about some nonsense", "Email Carl about his favorite color", "Buy tuna for cat Mittens". I am evaluating OF because I'm hoping it will help me get things done. Real things. Things that pay bills.

Here is my situation, as briefly as I can explain it. I need to manage:

1) Tasks at my "day" job
2) Tasks for my freelance business
3) Tasks in my personal life

Right there, we have what I would consider 3 distinct contexts: work, freelance, personal.

So right now in my freelance business, I have a website redesign to do. I add an action for doing the graphic design. I would think I'd put that under @design. But if I were to look at the @design context by itself, there may be 3 things for freelance, and 5 things for my day job, all mixed together. How can I separate design tasks between work and freelance without multiple contexts? Or do I have to create @Work:design and @Freelance:design? Might be okay if I could create a project with an overall context for freelance or work, with each underlying action having a generic context like @design or @programming.

I seem to have these quandaries a dozen times a day using OF. I want to split web maintenance tasks from web development. I want to put things into a context called @bills, but I want to be able to differentiate between personal bills and those of my freelance business.

I have to agree with everyone that's asking for multiple contexts. I just don't see how I can be productive having to distill every action down to one thing and not being able to view things different ways.

Am I just missing something?