View Single Post
I agree with both torchy and Deedubau. OF works, yes, and I appreciate all the options people provide to view and review tasks, but the fact is these feel more and more like hacks. It has gotten to the point where, with the exception of capture and review, I can do most of what I want with simple text files, and I feel like I spend more time wrestling with OF than I should. I don't mean to minimize the value of capture and review; they are great in OF and crucial to my work, which is why I have stayed with OF so long. However, after 4 years it does feel very dated, and more and more cumbersome. I have no doubt that part, if not most, of the problem is me, and my issues with task management. However, and I have said this before, since the advent of smart phones, in particular the iPhone, crazy good and fast laptops, and even the iPad, contexts are less and less important to me at least as far as "work" goes. Yes, there are errands to run and the lawn can only be mowed at home, but I can call, email, draft, organize, think, etc. from almost anywhere on the planet. Accordingly, as my contexts have dwindled, the usefulness of OF has dwindled as well, since it is designed primarily to focus based on those criteria.

I am in the process of trying Things, and already see issues. However, the question is not whether its perfect, just better, at the moment at least. I greatly appreciate what Ken Case and the Omni people do, and the level of support has always been fantastic. However, I have been waiting for a significant update to OF for too long; I appreciate the business reasons why, and I can see the time and effort that has been put into other OF products and in particular OF for iPhone and iPad. I know Omni is working hard, but the single most important app I have is OF on the Mac, and I am feeling neglected.

Please, Mr. Case, please: OF 2 sooner rather than later.