Thread: OmniBank
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhelke View Post
The lack of a reliable piece of personal finance software for the Mac represents a serious gap as well as a significant opportunity.

The only existing package that comes close is Liquid Ledger www.liquidledger.com, a severely under-resourced product by an individual developer. This package has improved over time under the prodding of a number of dedicated users. Still, for now it only meets basic requirements. ...

As far as I know, Liquid Ledger is the only product with a data model that will support the functionalities required by anyone using multiple currencies. ...

There may be an opportunity to buy out the developer - rather than starting over again from scratch - given that he has apparently abandoned his product. In any case, there is an unsatisfied demand within the Mac community for a good personal finance package, in particular one capable of handling multiple currencies.

The Omni Group ought to consider the business case for addressing this need.
I could not agree more!

I have been using Liquid Ledger for over 4 years now, and due its persistent lack of support have reluctantly decided to move on to another Personal Finance software. In the past 7 months I have checked out, tried out almost every PF software I could find on the Net, except Quicken of course, which I won't even consider, for its lack of multi-currency support. Unfortunately, I could not find a piece of software, which could meet the features Liquid Ledger has; with all its flaws it remains the best piece of PF software in the market.

Recently I have purchased OmniFocus and I have become an absolute fan of it! It is now one of my "always on" applications together with iCal and Mail, when I'm working on my Mac. If Omni Group should develop and put out a PF software with similar features as Liquid Ledger (double entry, multiple currencies, import and report capabilities), I would certainly not think twice in buying it. As a matter of fact, as mhelke suggested, buying out Liquid Ledger could be an extraordinary opportunity to enter this market, at maybe a lower investment rate than developing a software from scratch.

So, give it a thought, will you?