View Single Post
I see that my newbie-ness at OF has caused some confusion because I suppose I haven't been calling things by the correct names according to the system. So I will clarify (although the root problem I was expressing in this thread is still there and unsolved... I will explain.)

OK to clarify...

Currently I have a project called "Goodrich Hall Renovation" with an action group called "clarify light fixture lead times" with an action in it (among other actions) called "call Mark M" with an assigned context of "phone". This is all very clear within the Project view, with a clearly established hierarchy. But when I switch to Context view to begin working from that point of view, I see under "phone" the action called "call Mark M" re: project "Goodrich Hall". But I've lost the purpose of the call "to clarify light fixture lead times" as it is not showing up in the heirarchy. The hierarchy shown in context view is not really full as it does not show the action group that the action is within. I'm left with an action with no idea what the purpose of it is, because it's purpose is left out of the context view. To find it I have to toggle back to the Project view and search for the project to find the purpose of call in that view of the hierarchy. Now multiply this same problem a hundred fold or more for large projects and you will see how inconvenient, cumbersome and unusable OF is without allowing the action groups to be in the full hierarchy. The whole benefit of working in context view is lost because I cannot see the full hierarchy including the action group that the action is part of.

Now today is the last day of my free trial. I love the general way that this program works, to me it has great potential. But if I'm not going to be able to use the context view as powerfully as was shown when this program was described to me, I don't know if I will buy it? The developers of the software should allow you to see the full hierarchy including the action group for an action in order for it to be the most effective and useful system. The way it is now, the power of the context view is not fully realized for me. And this is only with a project and action groups with actions in them. I can't imagine how hard it will be to understand the relationship of things in larger projects with action groups buried within action groups that much drill deeper. I don't know if I'll have the opportunity to find out though as my free trial expires tomorrow. That's a shame.