Thread: two databases
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemer View Post
ex.1: music productions tips
I have a 'Single-action List' called 'Logic tips'
( Logic is a music application)
In there I have single action 'info' actions which are like FAQs - notes on how to manage various production tasks, such as how to organise sounds, how to manage tempo changes, and so on. Reference materials.

I don't need to review this stuff - it is neither project nor action.

Yes, I could put them into separate notes and they'd be out of inventory but each note would need to be in a parent project, which would remain in inventory = no improvement.

I could put them all into a single note, but then would lose the advantages of database separation.
You've already got them in a single action list. Set the next review date on the single action list to 20 years from now. It won't turn up during your reviews if you use the group by next review option when doing your review. Are you using the Next Review grouping and Mark Reviewed tool when you do your review, or are you just going down the sidebar in order?

Quote:
ex.2 - similar for my annual tax accounting. Lots of individual notes on a range of topics, not all of which are specific to open-ended projects.
eg. the timetable for each annual bookkeeping- final return for the year.
01. Capital Gains ( notes on how to assemble the info and what to do with it)

02. PAYE certificates
03. Install TaxCalc
04.....etc
I'm not really sure why you wouldn't want to keep this sort of thing in a separate application, especially when you could have links to the relevant documents attached to your OF projects or actions if desired.

Quote:
ex.3: background notes on individual students.

My heirarchy for OF here is:

Teaching (folder)/Student (folder)/coaching (project)/2 x actions

action1: 'homework'/ note = ( updated and printed after each lesson)
action2: 'background'/note = ( parents, phone no. email, history, vision etc)

now, the only moving, flowing items above are action1 and it's note.

I can go on....
I'm not quite sure I see the question here :-) But why not keep the action2 stuff attached to the coaching project as a note? And it sounds like you just keep changing action1, yet want to keep a history; why not copy action2 each lesson, paste it into a new row, update as needed and check off the previous one as complete? No need to sacrifice a bunch of trees and buy a bunch of filing cabinets.