View Single Post
I could not agree less with the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
...We're in no way opposed to additional bug fix releases; as Ken mentioned in another thread, we're taking a look at bugs like that now. To be clear, we do not yet know how the App Store review process will react to a bug fix release for an app that's no longer for sale.
Thus, you do not know whether you are actually going to support V1. And there ARE incompatibilities with iOS7 (got systematic crashes with sound). Not knowing how etc, you should not have taken the option to drop earlier customers, just for the reason of "not confusing" users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
...When selling new, isolated functionality, an In-App Purchase works great. But when a major feature of the new app is a completely redesigned interface, or much faster performance, In-App Purchase makes for a very awkward user experience. We want new customers who purchase our app to see our latest and best interface and to get the best performance, not to buy the app and be presented with an interface that's out of step with their OS until they pay more.
I also disagree strongly on "major feature". Folders? redesigned interface? that is certainly not worth paying THAT amount of money. Of course, you could have made some of these *features* available through in-app purchase. And the up-to-date iOS7 interface revamping is part of the normal upgrade all other editors provide for free.

I would have been happy to pay again for major new features such as attribute-based filtering, but probably not the full price. But I am certainly not going to buy the new app knowing that it is possible that the older versions are no longer supported in case of iOS upgrade.

Your policy is quite understandable, and it is acceptable for much cheaper apps. Given the price of your apps, you should consider that the maintenance cost for users can only be a fraction of the initial cost.