View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdiadamo View Post
... I can do almost anything work related wherever and whenever I want. ...
This is one reason why I have included contexts that are "Energy/Input" related in addition to some that are location based. Some work I just cannot do wherever I want, regardless of the tools at hand ...

@home, @lecture, @office ...

... and some work requires certain tools (regardless of location) ...

*Desk, *Computer, *Phone ...

... and some work just depends on my frame of mind ...

!reading, !planning, !grading ...

Quote:
... I still don't have one that tells me what I need to do today, that does not either force me to place a start date on everything, or look an a list with hundreds of possible actions.)
Start dates should not really be about when you WANT to do something. They should be about being limited to do that task only on or after that time. For example, you determine that you cannot mow the grass until the weekend (because your weekly workload takes all available time otherwise) ... OK ... so set that as the start date. You have to mow the grass before the end of the weekend (because otherwise the county will fine you) ... so there is your Due Date. By comparison, just because you WANT to read some new fiction novel tomorrow does not mean the task of reading it gets a start date of tomorrow.

Quote:
Again, I am hoping that OF 2.0 addresses some flexibility issues, and gets closer to the iOS versions, which are in my opinion superior products,
That is a mixed bag of wishes IMO. The iX versions have some bells and whistles that are still lacking on the desktop version. However, here is an example ... you might try on the iX device to duplicate an entire project as a template to create a new one. Oh! Cannot do that one. Have to create the entire project again from scratch. Ouch!

Quote:
... but my eye is wandering. OF is still the best, but whether it is good enough is a different matter.
My sense is, you could be over-utiliizing the start dates as a way to try to force OF to tell you what to do next from a sea of tasks that you want to do. Instead, perhaps you might try to define your tasks based solely on their external constraints. Then, make intelligent decisions about what you WILL do next from constrained DUE TODAY and NEXT ACTION lists.

--
JJW