View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Congratulations! That's definitely a "throw them in the deep end of the pool and hope they can swim" introduction to what's under the hood :)

I'm not sure that it follows that poor 3G network action on Wall Street means it is worse everywhere else. That's a pretty challenging RF environment, and that also doesn't take into account historical factors -- hasn't Verizon long been the dominant carrier in that area? I would expect AT&T to spend its money where its customers are.

So, you do instant capture on the iPhone, but need it promptly reflected on the MBP, is that right? Can't you simply set up a DynDNS account and run the app on your MBP? Then you'll put that DNS name in your iPhone, and every time the DHCP address changes, the new name->address mapping should percolate out to the domain name servers within a couple of minutes, and your iPhone will go to the right address when it tries to sync.

All indications are the Bonjour-based sync should be even easier (assuming you won't need to sync your phone and MBP when they are unable to be on the same network) when OmniFocus for iPhone 1.1 hits the App store. No need to throw in the towel!
I think Bonjour indeed will work perfect for me. I do need to only sync with my MBP. Can't use DDNS as all services are via proxies and monitored based on regulations. Bonjour would be a big win. I noticed it in setup, but I suspect it is not working with iphone yet. So it looks like we are getting closer by the day. I have to wait... not like there is another REAL alternative... I have looked, and there are systems that are all more effort than capturing the "inbox" instantly because the data becomes difficult to work with. Omnifocus is the closest thing to GTD method. Iphone is my "Capture it at a moments notice" when you don't have a notebook with you. Always have my Iphone.... Perfect.

(There is even a productivity tool that allows use of "Daytimer style" A1.. B1... C1... Blah which of course Mark Allen has some fun with...
Yea, Daytimers worked for me for 10 years, 15 years ago. Oh the pain of copying over the undone items from day to day. As with the GTD method, I have no hard dates on tasks, only on project deliverables so it is so much easier to use when you use it as it was designed. Very cool.

Thanks
Mark