Thread: project chains
View Single Post
kasi,

I use both options 1 and 2 depending on the kind of project.

I use Option 1 for big projects that have a clear final goal. For example, I have a project Build Workshop that will take about 3 years to complete. The first major sub-project is Build Garden Shed. Other sub-projects include rewiring my garage and building some interior walls.

I tend to use Option 2 for miscellaneous projects that seem to be perpetual. Using your example, I might create a Beautify and Maintain Our Yard folder. It would end up containing a lot of on-hold projects, but that's OK. My solution to the dependency problem is to add a task to the end of the Plant Grass project that says, "Activate Plant Flowers project".

To make the on-hold projects manageable, I use Review Dates. Instead of reviewing all of my on-hold projects, I only review those that are due for review. I have an On-hold Project Review perspective that shows all on-hold projects grouped by review date. In my weekly review I review on-hold projects due for review in the next week. I set long review intervals for some projects to minimize the number of on-hold projects that I review each week.

Hope that helps.

Curt