View Single Post
Well, this post is reassuring. I got the book first, although I had previously heard about OmniFocus (from husband, who got excited about it but had no intention of using it).

I set aside what I thought was enough time (one entire day at home with no one else there), bought some new office supplies, downloaded OmniFocus, got out the GTD book... and started.

Did I finish? Um, no. I discovered a few things.

First, when David Allen said 2 days, he meant 2 days. I always think that I have some special ability to get things done faster than others, despite considerable evidence to the contrary.

Second, 2 days means WITH A COACH. That's someone who says to you "that is taking more than 2 minutes", "lunch is over now," "put that in your read pile, don't read it now", "get off the web", "stop digging through the pile--one at a time", and "Earth to Stephanie, we're working here!". And perhaps someone to print out all the file labels. The labeler is great (I already had one but didn't use it much), but it does take a certain amount of time to print and stick all these labels. It would be quicker if someone else could do that.

So my day is gone. I now have to grab bits of time wherever I find them. I finished collecting, processed 25% of my inbox, and tore apart my existing filing system. Now I still have to get things done with a worse system than I had before! This morning I dug through the various piles to see if anything vital was in there. I just hope the cats don't sleep on the piles while I'm at work and mesh them together!

I felt like a failure, like I did it WRONG. I failed at GTD and made a big mess besides. Your comment about "a long time" is thus reassuring. I'm really hoping this system will "stick."