View Single Post
The thing that I would say about having actions that make sense is make the action either "something that can be done all at once" or "once done, it could be a good time for a break." So in your example above, you have getting fridges measured separately from finding their power requirements. I think it's more likely that when you're getting the measurements for a particular fridge you can find out at the same time what the power requirements are. If fridges are all sold at the same place, you might say that finding all of the measurements and all of the power requirements for all the fridges is a single action, since once in that location, it probably wouldn't make sense to leave without getting all the measurements. (I don't know if the fridge measurements are what you are talking about, maybe it's measurements in your home, but I hope you understand what I'm saying). So the list of actions that I might have might be: talk to salesman 1 about fridges; talk to salesman 2 about fridges; talk to friend {1 2} about fridges; look at fridges, get measurements, get power requirements for the fridges; decide on best fridge; buy fridge.

The "add child" command can help for organizing your actions and changing how actions become available but it doesn't really work well for outlining information and not really well for being a "sub-project" either. Keep in mind that your actions are going to become a flat list in context mode. Accordingly, there aren't really subprojects in OF.

I think you'll find it a lot easier as well if you make "Buy New Fridge" your project and put it in House and Kitchen folders as necessary. If you also want to have general Kitchen or House actions organized together, you could put single action lists in the Kitchen or House folders for holding those non-project actions. If that makes you more comfortable, do it; but I don't think you get a lot of value when you're in context mode from having every action filed into the most exact project. I've found that over time I get a little sloppy with which project I put actions into and it doesn't really make all that much difference. That may be an acquired taste though.