View Single Post
Your thoughts are noted.

The holy grail is to have a tool that tells you how productive you are doing both from a quantitative and qualitative standpoint. As all actions are of different sizes and importance, and have different contexts as well, this is nearly impossible to track.

However, for me the daily counts of things checked off my list (however raw and crude that metric is) actually gives me a quantitative insight of how i did relative to an average work day for me.

Your points are like stating "the pages you read doesn't directly contribute to learning. you can have 100 pages of junk or 1 page of solid material" understood, and true.

However, I trust that when i have my "manager" hat on, i dont' load frivolous "pages" just for my checkin off fancy. (2 minute rule enforced) and I trust tasks are sized appropriately to my work. If it's too large of a task, then it needs to be broken down. So then these become my "units of work" that I need to blast through.

With that said, using the reading metaphor above.. I put my "Do'er" hat on and manage my self discipline Quantitatively by forcing myself to "read at least 20 pages before 9a. another 20 before noon. and another 20" . And at the end of the day, i have a total number of "pages" / tasks i've blasted through.

sorry to be so verbose in that explanation... maybe i'm just analyzing this whole thing a bit too much