View Single Post
Warning: This is an unbelievably basic question from someone who is painfully new to all this. However, if my brain worked in a way that I could organize myself, I wouldn't need OmniFocus probably.

I'm a little confused about how to 'classify' things that touch on multiple areas, and I'd appreciate hearing how some of you might approach this. Here's the scenario:

I created a folder called "Health" and expect this to include researching and managing a condition I have, making doctors appointments, going to the gym, picking up my Rx, couch-to-5k (in my dreams) and so on.

Picking up my Rx is an errand. But so is "Go to CVS" which might include a running list of stuff that I need to buy at CVS, including my Rx. I have to get the Rx on a very regular basis, so then it occurred to me that I should just use iCal and calendar the CVS trip as a recurring event at which point I would collect everything on the list.

However, scheduling an exact time every month to go to CVS seems unnecessary. So it's back to a recurring task "Schedule trip to CVS" (I realize this seems like overkill, but I constantly forget to go in time, so this is a fairly realistic example for me). Then there's a second task: Go to CVS.

Should I just include the Rx on a standard list attached to the CVS task?

As far as contexts, they're both errands. But going to CVS isn't something that would strictly fall into my "Health" folder -- some of it might be 'Home maintenance' (like lightbulbs). Technically, I suppose the Rx is a sub-context of errands (Errands:CVS), but it's the only thing that strictly I need to do there.

Everything but the Rx can be gotten at other places, like Target. I go there with far less frequency, but sometimes I need to, and then might as well combine everything.

Or is it really just two tasks (Pick up Rx; Misc. household shopping) that can, but don't have to be, completed in the same place?

[As a side note, I want to be sure that the tasks have lists attached to them so I'll have them on my Palm when I'm in the store]