View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFF View Post
I'm sure Omni had a good reason for changing the sort order--I'd love to hear what it was!
Sorry, we didn't think it would be a controversial change. We noticed that the iPhone had a completely different context list ordering from the iPad, and we thought we should make them consistent. (Nobody had complained about either order as far as I know, so we thought nobody had a strong preference between the two.)

Once we decided to make them consistent, we were left deciding which behavior to keep. We decided to keep the iPad behavior of sorting items by project when in context lists because we already had the Forecast and Flagged lists for when those are your interest. ("If we leave them in the order they appear in your library, then they feel more stable with the way you created them. I think this is especially important when you have multiple actions from the same project; their order may be important and unless you request it, we should not be reordering them on you.") I think we figured that the iPhone ordering was a holdover from the pre-Forecast era.

We did note internally that it would be fairly easy to provide an option for the old behavior (a hidden option if nothing else), and wondered whether anyone would want that. I think we'd gotten used to thinking that if someone did care, we'd get feedback on that sort of change during our beta cycle—not remembering how much more limited our beta pool is for our iOS apps (since we can't just make them publicly available for download on our website like we can with our Mac apps).

So, my apologies! We should have realized how that change would affect some of your workflows, and even if we decided to go ahead with it we should at least have explained why we were making the change. Ideally we would have also given you some advance warning and opportunity to send us your feedback—before it shipped, rather than after.

Last edited by Ken Case; 2011-11-20 at 07:33 AM..