View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavenport View Post
I think as soon as you give the first to the iphone, you'll get the second.
Is there some reason to believe that iPhone/iPod users need a richer set of repeat options more than the desktop users?

In any case, the latest version of the iPhone/iPod client has repeating options, just like the desktop.
Quote:
Omnifocus looks like the application I want to use, but I need repeating task. Not just repeating tasks. If I cant set tasks to repeat at the times that I need them too, its pointless. I, like others here from what I gather, need things like... repeat on last weekday of the month, repeat only on weekdays, repeat on the 2nd Tuesday of the month. A task manager is supposed to help you be more productive, not kill your productivity trying to find a work around for what I think is the basics, scheduling the task when it is to be done. Your product looks fantastic and does way more then what I was even expecting to find, however its missing something crucial for me. Its kind of like having all the bells and whistles on a sports car but the engine was left out.
I think you'll find that OmniFocus is rather more useful than a car without an engine! A better comparison would be a car whose radio didn't let you have preset stations. You have to tune the radio every time you want to go to a different station, and it seems like a nuisance at first, but if you just do it for a week, it turns out not to be nearly the obstacle you originally thought. Sure, it'll be nice when the new radio comes out that has presets, but the old radio doesn't prevent you from listening to music, much less driving places in the car.

I've got hundreds of repeating actions, many of them on schedules that OmniFocus can't handle automatically. I spend about 5-10 minutes per month adjusting dates, at most. It's only as big of an obstacle as you want to make it. To quote Henry Ford, "whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right." These tasks can be handled quite adequately with the tools provided; when Omni adds the richer repeat support, which I am confident they will, it will be easier, but not in a life-changing way. I haven't seen a calendar program yet that didn't force me to do most of the same things I do in OmniFocus. Yes, the startup cost will be a bit higher, but these are repeating actions, and in any month after the first one, I'll bet that by far the majority of your repeating actions will be ones previously set up, and thus the amount of time spent setting up new repeating actions will be quite small.