View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp1 View Post
That's an interesting idea. Since I'm just starting, and have no legacy overhead to convert, let's extend it a bit. What if I had no sub-contexts, but populated the note with whatever variables were appropriate? I would have one large context called Work, and could populate the note not only with sub-context tags, but with project tags, and anything else that might be helpful. &Boss, &Project X, &networking, etc. Do you see any downside to this approach?
The only downside I see is the maintenance of it. Using just for a boss tag would be manageable, but trying to manage 50 different tags could get a bit crazy. One misspelling and you don't see a tag in a perspective and then you don't trust the system to show you what is in it and plunge into a downward spiral.

Applescripts could be developed to give you 1-button tagging, by adding those unique texts into the note, while keeping the rest of the note intact. Heck, an applescript application could be developed to show you the tags that are on the note, allowing you to see all tags on the note, although I don't think it could auto update based on the action you are currently on, a button would need to be pressed to show the tags.

Personally, I don't do this myself with the exception of Curt's Find stalled projects applescript, which places a -Missing Next Action in the text of the title. I have a perspective search for all those missing next actions. I then go through those projects/parents and have an applescript to remove that text from the title after I have added actions or completed the project.

I guess the other possible downside is whether this would be transferable to the iPhone, as that is probably the device you would have on a chance meeting with your boss. There is a search function on the OF iPhone, perspectives are in an experimental mode and only work with contexts, but it should work.

I like the structure of only having 1 context, but would enjoy having a way to further break the actions out of that structure and see them a different way using tags. There are some actions that can be done in multiple places or with different resources. The real question is... how much time spent adding tags and managing those tags does it take? Is it worth the effort of maintenance? And does the benefits outweigh the overhead.