View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricstudio View Post
One issue I'm having trouble with is sorting by due date. I like how the iPhone version creates smart folders for "Due Soon" and "Overdue" actions. This great feature seems to be missing in the desktop version. Or am I missing something?
Yes, you can do it, although it isn't a built-in view like it is on the iPhone. First, go to your preferences, data pane, and set the appropriate value of time for "due soon". Then, make sure your view bar is visible (cmd-shift-V if not). In the Perspectives menu, select Due Items. Change the dohickey that says Available to Due Soon. Make any other adjustments you might like, then save it as a perspective for future use.

Quote:
At the very least I'd like to be able to sort Actions by due date in the desktop version, but I can't figure out how to do that either.

I did figure out how to display the "due date" column. However, not only can I not sort it, but the column is too narrow. If I have a six-digit date (i.e. 10/14/08), the "8" gets bumped down one line because the column is too narrow to display all six digits. I was able to resize the column in Project Mode, but not in Context Mode.
I don't know why you wouldn't be able to resize the column in one mode and not the other. Put your cursor on the divider in the column header and drag in the appropriate direction. I tried, but was unable to come up with a window configuration that wouldn't let me expand the due column large enough to hold a 6 digit date field on one line.

You don't sort in OmniFocus by clicking on the column headers, in case that is what you are trying. Bring up the view bar (cmd-shift-V) if it is not already present, and you'll get a series of controls running across the window just above the column headers. One of them controls sorting. Note that for sorting to sort by action instead of by project, you'll have to be in the context view. The sorting in project mode sorts the projects, not the individual actions. You can sort the actions inside the project in OF 1.1 and later by selecting them and using the Edit->Sort command, but this actually changes the data, not the display, which may not be what you wanted.

Check out the perspectives video on the OmniFocus product page; it gives a good tutorial on this stuff. It's in the resources section down near the bottom of the page.