View Single Post
Quote:
Where's the OF moderator? You should add this to the development team's customer wish list: that this application, of the things, by the things, for the things to be done, shall not perish from requiring users excessively focus visually on such a granular, time-bereft graphical interface. Columnar lists of due dates does not pack the PUNCH!!!!!!
Discuss it on the forum all you like, and Omni employees will occasionally join in the fray, but to have your votes reliably counted, you need to use Help->Send Feedback or email to omnifocus@omnigroup.com to make your suggestions and requests. If you feel strongly about (pro or con) any suggestion made on the forums, make sure they know about it by using one of those two mechanisms. They do take such feedback into account when planning future development.

While I agree it is good to be able to judge whether one is overcommitted, and that a calendar view might be a nice way to assess one's commitments, my readings of DA's book don't give me the impression that he is in favor of preplanning a substantial chunk of time like this, except perhaps if your "hard landscape" does fill the week. From pp. 142-143 of Getting Things Done:

Quote:
What many people want to do, however, based on old habits of writing daily to-do lists, is put actions on the calendar that they think they'd really like to get done next Monday, say, but that then actually might not, and that might then have to be taken over to following days. Resist this impulse. You need to trust your calendar as sacred territory, reflecting the exact hard edges of your day's commitments, which should be noticeable at a glance while you're on the run. That'll be much easier if the only things in there are those that you absolutely have to get done on that day. When the calendar is relegated to its proper role in organizing, the majority of the actions that you need to do are left in the category of "as soon as possible, against all the other things I have to do."
However, I think it is fair to point out that OmniFocus is not intended only as a GTD application, and furthermore, a graphical representation of the expected workload over a given period might be quite useful. Unfortunately, iCal is, well, let's be polite and say that it might be possible to build something better :-)