View Single Post
Before submitting a bug report about the behavior of the Escape key in a date field, I searched this forum to see if anyone had reported the problem. I was surprised to find my "Escape key discards an incomplete replacement date" from last March.

I'm opening this new thread to expand the discussion to the behavior of the Escape, Return and Enter keys, specifically the inconsistent behavior of these keys. For example, in the earlier thread I reported my understanding of Escape behavior:

For quite some time, I've understood Escape to mean "I'm done editing; accept my changes." in both OmniFocus and OmniOutliner. What's happening now is Escape means "I'm done editing; accept my text field changes; cancel a Context change, even if there was No Context; accept a Date if the field was empty but cancel a changed Date."

Return means "Commit the current field, and if it's the Name field, create a new child or new sibling."

Enter seems to have only one meaning: "Commit the current field."

Is there a definitive description of the intended behavior of Escape, Return and Enter keys?

-- Ward

[submitted as formal feedback]