View Single Post
From my perspective, GTD is about habits (habits I wish I was better at doing consistently, like reviewing, like getting x to empty, etc). And GTD is also about having a trusted system, where you can find everything.

For several years I used another system: Ready-Set-Do. It's a cool set of apple scripts that walk you through the GTD system: for each item in your inbox, you get asked a variety of questions, through which you process things. I like the concept. I'm not sure whether the implementation worked for me.

I would LOVE to see a sort of "guru" or a training mode or a ADHD-mode or whatever in Omnifocus. Ideally, it would be an option you could turn on -- or a series of scripts. It would look at your OF inbox, and ask you what is it? actionable or not, what is the next action, context, etc., and would just loop through all your inbox items until you had identified a next action and context for each. Of course you could do this with the existing system.

So why bother with a structured series of questions? If it were done well (like with the ability to customize questions*) and worked as an add on to OF then you would have an expert system that prompted you and guided you through the process, encouraging you to stay focused on the 1 issues at hand, and not dart about to other issues. Some days I'm more focused than others. One of the many best things about OF (the ability to get a quick overview of everything) can be overwhelming. On those days, the ability to just focus on 1 thing at a time, just do 1 thing, then finish, then move on--well that would be helpful to me at least.

* Ready Set Do mentioned above does have the ability to customize questions.