Thread: Contexts?
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
I like it too, but I can't see how it works in OF, because you are not allowed to assign multiple contexts ...
I have rehabilitated myself off of multiple contexts / tags by this point (although I did use them a lot back in my Things days).

Basically, my location specific contexts are for those tasks that MUST be done at that site, no exceptions. These can be Activated or put On Hold as the case needs. For example, I have the context for my father's house On Hold right now because ... I am not there.

The personnel specific contexts are the ones that get called up on my Waiting For perspective. These are all of the tasks that someone else has to do before I can move forward. Some of them can be Activated or On Hold. My colleague J Smith goes on vacation ... so much for keeping his tasks active until he gets back.

My outcome/energy contexts are first the meat of my work in setting up a project. They focus me to be sure that something will always be achieved by a project, especially as it might relate to an objective for the project or a life goal for the given area of interest (folder level). I find no sense any more in setting up a set of tasks that just have me going on multiple fishing expeditions as the end result -- I do enough distracting daydreaming as it is :-p. Those same outcome/energy contexts then become defining when I do my daily reviews using my Kanban sheet. I look for what task(s) I need/might do to pull a project forward or ask myself such questions as ... does some other project have task(s) of greater outcome/energy that can/should be done right now?

The outcome/energy contexts have never yet been put On Hold. If I wanted to, I guess I could sub-divide them perhaps further in to Work and Play. However, sometimes my play involves harvesting information or cooking up a backyard barbecue plan for example ... so the boundaries are not always as clear cut.

--
JJW

Last edited by DrJJWMac; 2011-10-03 at 04:44 PM..