Thread: Contexts?
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
You don't have to search the lists separately! You can cmd-click on several different contexts in the sidebar to get a display that shows you the union of the available actions in those contexts. With iPad/iPhone, you'll have to have made a perspective to do that, but I suspect the time it takes to prep a few is dwarfed by the time one would spend tagging everything in the database in the long run. The various programs I use where tagging is supported as a primary way of getting your stuff back all seem to involve large amounts of time tagging, even when adjusting for the larger number of items to be tagged.
I appreciate the response, but I think you may be wrong here. IF multiple contexts were possible, then the kind of thing you describe would be very useful. Indeed, it's another example of the power of being able to apply multiple tags.

But with only one context permitted, what you are describing doesn't really solve the problem. Consider my example again - at home, 20 minutes, wife in next room. Let's say the optimum task, if I took the time to review every possible task, would be "change the air filter" - just an example, could be anything. The point is, I would want that task to at least appear as an option on my lists.

But suppose I gave it the "low energy" context, because I figured it's the kind of thing I could do without a lot of mental effort. In that case, I would never see it unless I thought to search through the "low energy" context (along with "home," "wife," and "20 minute tasks," since I would never know if I might have a suitable low energy task that I had tagged with one of those contexts instead). But if I do think to include the "low energy" context, now im fishing around trying to find something appropriate and getting lots of tasks in my list that I can't do (such as low energy items that can't be done at home, or take longer than 20 minutes, and so on).

You get the idea. The bottom line is that if you're only allowed one context, then you can only really organize along a single dimension - ie, a single characteristic. Otherwise, your context searches will always be either over- or under-inclusive. As a practical matter, it's a shortcoming I can live with, but it is definitely limiting and I'm still hopeful this will changed in some future version.