Thread: Contexts?
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
... IF multiple contexts were possible, then the kind of thing you describe would be very useful. ....

Consider my example again - at home, 20 minutes, wife in next room. Let's say the optimum task, if I took the time to review every possible task, would be "change the air filter" - just an example, could be anything.....
Sitting at home wondering what I could be doing with some "extra time" ... open OF on iPod, go to Contexts view, select Home context, filter for either Available or Next Action. Decide that changing the air filter would be a worthwhile venture in the next few minutes.

Done.

Point is, by the time I figure out in your scheme that I want to use OF to find tasks at Home .AND. that take 20 Minutes .AND. that are Low Energy (multiple tags/contexts filtering) ... I have the task done.

In a sense, what it seems you want is a way to set up tasks AT THEIR INCEPTION with all requisite bells and whistles to have OF later do the work to pick "exactly the right thing to do" at decision times. My ongoing experience is, decision times often have too many transient parameters to be able to set them all when first creating a task -- especially for decision times that arise on short order such as your example. Using the fewest possible key parameters to outline a task at its creation, and then deciding what is best to do based on the other immediate constraints when the time comes, works far better for me.

I would also get a bit confused trying to set whether a task has Low Energy because it takes only 20 min or takes only 20 min because it has Low Energy or is both Low Energy + 20 min (or perhaps I should really set it for 15 min hmmmm????) ... Besides, with my habits at doing house chores, what I _think_ is a 20 min task today turns in to an hour long exploration at the time it comes to do it ... (Coming love ... just gotta install this air filter ... {DARN! Now where DID I put that new air filter that I bought last week????!!!!} :-} )

Just my perceptions ... again, this is not about a right way of doing it.

--
JJW