Thread: memory leaks
View Single Post
Hm, that's really kinda strange. Since my last post, I didn't close OW. It now takes even less memory: 100MB physical and 452MB virtual mem.

But, again: I'm not a heavy surfer. There are only a few websites I frequent, and none of them use flash, Javascript is at least not used heavily, if at all.

I do go to some flash and/or ajax sites now and then, but I always close the tabs afterwards. I have five workspaces, only one of which has more than one tab (and none of which has flash, animated gifs or always moving javascript stuff).

I guess that might explain the relatively low memory footprint OW has here. But as it has even DEcreased since my last post, at least in the surroundings I use it for OW doesn't seem to have a memory leak.

I personally don't know what tests can be used to see if a memory leak is present in an app, and how accurate these tests are, but the tests the Omni people used seem to tell that there are none. Go figure. ;-)

Edit: Just to test I went to clipfish.de, a German clone of Youtube. OW now takes 110MB physical and 473MB virtual mem. That's a plus of 30MB for just one site. Closing the tab made the footprint go to 105/460MB. So: a) If you have many heavy sites like this open, it will of course take a lot of mem. b) After closing, the footprint ist still higher than it was before I opened that site. I guess that's due to some parts of the cache being kept in memory, but I'm not sure. Additionally, the flash plugin was loaded for the site, and it probably wasn't before. So the increase could be the plugin that might be discarded after some time when it's not used? I don't know. There MIGHT be a memory leak, but with my usage it doesn't really look like.

Last edited by zottel; 2007-03-23 at 06:42 PM..