View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
If I am in project view, I can click the inspect (blue circle with white 'i'), click on the '@' "tab" and choose status "On Hold (Waiting)" (' " '). If I am in context view, doing this makes the whole context go on hold, even if I'm inspecting an individual item. Is this expected behaviour or a bug?
It does the same thing in project view, you just didn't realize it. You've set the entire context to be on hold. Most likely this is not what you wanted. If you look closely at the inspector window (title bar) when you click on the "@" you've just switched to inspecting the context.
Quote:
What I'm trying to do is "hide" those actions that I don't want to do right now, but _are_ correctly filed into their context, eg. it is an action I want to do in my 'Office', but not right now. Clearly, I could defer them to a specific date in the future, but I'd rather just put them on hold and then look at my 'actions on hold' list when I do a full review (which is what I thought 'Stalled' might mean, but...)
If these actions you want to hide are part of a sequential project, why not just put the project on hold? You won't be doing anything else on that project until you do the action, and putting the project on hold doesn't mess up any state, unlike changing the action's context or start date.
Quote:
Also, OF's help says "Stalled (projects without any available actions)" (under 'Using the view bar to filter...') but this brings up lots of actions from my projects, so it doesn't seem to mean that at all?
Have a closer look at your view bar settings. I think you'll find that all of those actions are not actually Available actions, but Remaining (or Due, which is a subset of Remaining) actions. In my experience the Stalled projects filter in project view brings up projects for which there is no Next Action either because the project has no remaining actions (but hasn't been marked complete) or the action which would be the Next Action is unavailable (due to a future start date, or being assigned to a context that is on hold, or in versions prior to 1.6, not having a context assigned).

I've never used the Stalled filter in context view before, and it took a bit of head-scratching to figure out just what it does, because there's some confusing behavior with nested contexts that might be considered a bug, or at least unexpected. It appears that the intent of the Stalled filter in context view is to show all the contexts which don't have any available actions. What threw me off the scent for a while is that I have lots of nested contexts, such as:

Errands
Errands:Grocery Store
Errands:Costco
Errands:Library
Internet
Internet:Macbook

and if Errands:Costco is empty but Errands is not, I'll get a listing of all the actions in Errands that didn't get filed in one of the nested contexts, making it look like the Stalled filter isn't working (how can things be stalled if there's all this work that can be done?) For my part, I think I'll go back to not using the Stalled filter in context view, as it provides little or no apparent value to me, but I would be interested to hear how others make use of it.