View Single Post
I just want to add that in my real life activities, there are a handful of place contexts that I have, and the "Other Place" idea is a really good one. That way I can enter anything related to a place in the place context, and when I see a person I can click on that person in "Other Place", and in the other place contexts that I see the person (usually I know the other places where the person would be and usually a given person isn't in more than one or two other places).

So, I am very happy about your solution for this because People and Place are two of my main contexts.

I think Function and Topic are other contexts which add complexity. The no-mind aspect of entering assigning the following activity to contexts would be: "Phone Adam from Cornucopia about new Thai Restaurant".

Goes into:

- Phone (function)
- Adam (person)
- Cornucopia (place -- i.e. if I needed to use a phone there)
- Restaurant or Fun Things to Do (topic)

When I am entering the activity it's a no-brainer how to assign contexts, I have a clean context hierarchy, and I have one activity in all of its natural contexts.

Any example is just an example, and other examples can easily be created showing different contexts.

I could use a bracket naming convention for my contexts and keep a list and then put all the contexts in the note that don't fit into Person and Place using your suggestion.

Then I would assign the above to Cornucopia:Adam, and put "[Fun Thing]" and "[Phone]" in the note.

I'd just have to make sure that I know the dimensions left out of my context structure that are supplied via the note. For example, I could no longer have a Phone context if I rely on note searching to give me all things I need to do while at the phone. Or I could have a Phone context, but know where I compromised and search the note for that context.

Because I like the "no mind" concept from GTD though, I think I would just enter 4 activities with the same description but with different contexts:

1) Phone Adam from Cornucopia about new Thai Restaurant
--> "Phone" context

2) Phone Adam from Cornucopia about new Thai Restaurant
--> "Adam" context

3) Phone Adam from Cornucopia about new Thai Restaurant
--> "Cornucopia" context

4) Phone Adam from Cornucopia about new Thai Restaurant
--> "Topic" context

That way I have duplicated activities, but my context hierarchy is very clean and intuitive.

It's easier for me to deal with activity redundancy than it would be to have to remember how to query my contexts correctly. With activity redundancy, I would delete something, and if I see it again I'd delete that one too. It will make my project view very cluttered, but having correct contexts is the most important thing for me in the GTD methodology.

Thanks again for your idea -- it may help in the way I implement this -- maybe I will think of how I could extend it for my other two context dimensions.