Thread: The Hit List
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdiadamo View Post
I don't know if this applies to other people as well, but I would like tags for "today" or "tomorrow", etc. The one thing I thing the tag based products do better than OF is identify those things that I want (as opposed to need) to do today. I (and I dare say others) don't always operate based on contexts. Sometimes I change contexts in order to do something I want or need to do at that time. This may not be strict GTD, but would better fit my workflow.
I'm maybe missing something, but this functionality is already in OmniFocus if you set due dates for items, no?

Look at the built-in "Due Soon" perspective, for example. It gives you more than just "Today" and "Tomorrow" -- depending on how you have defined "Due Soon" it breaks down tasks that are due in certain time periods. It is great for finding out what's coming due or what's overdue, and it's more flexible than just 2 view for "today" and "tomorrow" in the sidebar.

The downside of course is that you then start living by due dates, many of them arbitrary, in an effort to make sure you see things in a certain time frame. The other downside (in particular, compared to Things), is that you can't create a view based on OR, a la Things' "Today" view which is basically "Things due or overdue today, as well as things I have manually marked Today (akin to a flag).

If OmniFocus were to get smart groups (alongside or replacing perspectives), as well as the flexibility to define smart groups, then I really see very little it couldn't do.

My only other request (which will no doubt offend the true practicers of GTD) would be that I could have a task with no context, which is also active. I really use start dates to hide tasks that I can't work on yet, and so use an Active view, but if I forget to set a context on an item, I lose it.