View Single Post
I use OmniOutliner to create my project's outcomes, purposes, visions, etc.

Then I put my tasks/next actions into OmniFocus. I find it works better that way for me. OmniOutliner (or whatever outline program you choose) may be better suited to creating the outcome, purpose, vision statement than OmniFocus. OmniFocus is better suited as the task manager for your next actions.

Making It All Work basically expands on issues that were touched upon in the first GTD book.

If you're drowning in a sea of entries, use OmniFocus' review function. I remembered being in the same boat. GTD beginners like me would go wild and crazy about doing the collecting part. But once we got the collection phase down, we were drowning in a huge list tasks.

The weekly review is used to help us look at our list of tasks, activate which ones we will be doing today and bring more focus on what the next actions are.

I use the weekly review to start purging things that I once thought were important to me. These can be tasks that have no consequence if I do or not do them at all. I also purge by delegating tasks to other people who are better equipped or better skilled than me (such as doing my taxes).

I have a someday/maybe folder that holds all the projects and tasks that are on the backburner. During the weekly review, I can look at them and decide which ones to turn back into active status.

Then use the view bar and set it to show Next Actions instead of Remaining Actions. This helps narrow your focus down to what the next actions are.

Check out the OmniFocus screencasts. They're really helpful in learning about using the perspective function in OmniFocus.

Perspective are the way to go in using OmniFocus. Perspectives allows us to set up windows with particular view settings to fit different needs. I have a "Due" perspective that shows my next actions sorted by due dates. I have a "review" perspective that allows me to perform my weekly review. Then I have a "Big Rocks of The Week" perspective which basically shows tasks that are flagged. Then I have a "Next Action" perspective which shows only the next actions available to me.

Use perspectives help you to manage that huge task list down to a manageable size.