View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
An inspector cleanup is one of the major bits of UI cleanup left before 1.0 (another being preferences). Our current plan (subject to change) is that we'll have type-based inspectors instead of aspect-based (so project/action/group/context instead of having things like dates/repeats in their own tabs).
That would be a great start and would really make stuff easier to manipulate!

Quote:
I'm not sure if inspectors will always automatically switch based on the selection; this is really subjective -- too much motion & display changing in the inspectors while you are just mousing around can be annoying.
I've seen other apps pull this off pretty well. One option is certainly the "big ol' inspector" window that is large enough to fit the most options available for any single item, so it just looks a bit empty. Otherwise, some modest growing/shrinking wouldn't hurt the eyes too much, at least not for me.

The main reason I find the current setup objectionable is that OmniFocus isn't, say, OmniGraffle. I don't spend a lot of time WORKING in the app. I duck in quickly to pull a NA or add a project/notes/task/whatever and then leave the program. The less clicking and fidgeting I have to do, the faster I can get out of the application.

Another option might be to simply change the inspectors based on mode. In Planning mode, you'd have a Task and Project inspector. (The latter might also work on folders, just with many options grayed out) In Context mode, the Project inspector grows/shrinks into Context mode.

Since changing those states is an inherent mode switch, and also (often) changes the window size/layout/etc., the animation at that point would probably not be too distracting.

Anyhow, ideas. Take 'em or leave 'em and keep up the good work!