View Single Post
THe first thing I do is to go to Planning mode and flag three big projects that i want to gain significant progress in this week.

If there are individual tasks that are not part of a big project, I will flag those as well.

I am assuming that you have a next action perspective created and probably placed on your toolbar.

My next action perspective has these settings:

Context perspective:
Context filter: Active
Grouping: Context
Sorting: Due
Availability Filter: Available
Status Filter: Any Status
Estimated Time Filter: Any Duration

I would peek into the next action perspective and flag individual available Next Actions that i want to get done this week.

The first thing I do every morning is to check my calendar to see what appointments I have to keep. Then I check another context perspective that I placed in my toolbar called "Today". Here are the settings:

Context perspective:
Context filter: Active
Grouping: Context
Sorting: Due
Availability Filter: Available
Status Filter: Due or Flagged
Estimated Time Filter: Any Duration

The only difference is that I changed the status filter to Due or Flagged.
Any available next actions that are due soon or flagged will appear here. I look at my Today perspective and try to knock off as many of the tasks in here.

I will only look at my Next Actions perspective when I don't want to do anything on "Today" perspective. The Next Actions perspective gives me a bigger menu of available next actions to work on.

Learn about the Someday/Maybe concept as well. Put all new projects and all projects that you think you will do in the future automatically to "On Hold." During the weekly review, go through your projects and ask yourself "do I want to work on this project in the next 7-14 days?" If the answer is yes, set the status to "Active". If it is a project that you think you'll put off to sometime in the future, set the status to "On Hold". If it is a project that sounded nice but you don't know if you'll invest the time in it, either delegate it to someone else who has the time, energy, skills, and tools to do it or just delete it.

When you weed out the garden, your garden will look new fresh. You have to weed out your OmniFocus projects list, be honest with yourself and your capabilities, and either set things to Active, On Hold, delegate, or delete.