View Single Post
I've been perplexed about the usefulness of 1Password for years. Besides providing a portable database between platforms Mac/Windows, what exactly is it that 1Password does that OmniWeb doesn't already do?

For me OmniWeb will AutoFill any and every login username/password website in the Keychain. OmniWeb also saves ALL submitted forms for AutoFill. Additionally, OmniWeb always saves ALL form text and remembers up to 5000 phrases which it then uses for automatically completing any form on any site. This goes way beyond the capabilities of 1Password since the last time I tried is, some years ago.

So really the only thing I can think of that 1Password is useful for is having a portable database which could be used on a crappy Windows/Firefox machine for those dreadful circumstances where no Mac is available. I do understand the importance of this particular point. I've been in this situation as well where it could have been useful. However, I'd never trust any Windows machine (especially ones at a workplace that are monitored) to perform anything financially that required any level of security such as online banking, logging in to PayPal, Ebay or paying for anything else online for that matter. For logging into forums I have no concern but Windows and browsers, thats a big no no for me.

Keychain obviously is problematic in this situation but the last time I checked I couldn't get my Keychain data into 1Password for a start so that made it practically useless. Not to mention missing AutoComplete function like OW's and the awkwardness of the 'hack-in' approach 1Password used. Now I see 1Password as less useful due it dropping support for major browsers that we use.

What is missing?

Last edited by Drayon; 2012-03-12 at 07:57 PM..