View Single Post
I also balked at the $80 price. My initial reaction was "No way!"

I worked through the trial period (feedback: too short for $80 software!) and didn't get a great feel for the application, but did see it's potential to replace my paper + rube-goldberg-applescript methods.

What sold me was support, not on OmniFocus, but on OmniPlan (which I also use and absolutely love). Every request I put in gets an immediate (within the day, often an hour or so later!) and personal response from a real person who knows the software. If only half of the other software companies I purchase from could value customer service like OmniGroup!

So, that having been said, there's my answer. I'm waiting a few more days to budget it in, but I'm sold. $80 is a lot, and I agree wholeheartedly with those of you who say you'd prefer $50. I'd have bought it already at $50! But, that $30 more is psychologically trying. It's butting up against the $100 software realm (there's the $10 realm, then the $30 realm, then the $50 realm, then the $100 realm ...) Still, having gone through the pain of the decision process, I am a bit more likely to stick with this software than I would cheaper software.

From a business perspective, $80 loses a lot of customers, I suspect. But, I also suspect that the remaining customers tend towards the "advocate" end of the spectrum instead of the casual "try to fit this into my life and toss it if it doesn't work immediately" realm. There is a real link between what you pay for something and how much value you place on it, and the higher price (which, in retrospect, isn't all that much higher) places it in a different tier.

I do look forward to "bug fixes", though. I found it generally to be very stable and trustable (especially relative to its competition), but it seemed to take up a significant amount of resources when left up over time. I'll investigate more (sample the process and send in feedback to Omni) once I have a licensed copy to play with.