View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni-F-user View Post
Ok, in configuring the settings from Mac to iPad, I got a window pop up on my iPad that gives me the option of "Keep device Database," or "Keep Sync Database." Note, in-box and projects on IPad is neither on iPhone or Mac since I have not gotten it to sync.
Yes, you're trying to sync two different databases that didn't start from the same point. OmniFocus has detected the lack of common ancestry and wants to know which one you want to keep. Don't worry, you don't have to lose any data, and you shouldn't have this problem in the future — it stems from making independent changes on your devices before setting up syncing. However, I'm going to have you talk to the Omni support folks to walk you through the process, because it is a bit tedious to explain and they've probably got a canned description of the procedure. Give them a call tomorrow at 800-315-OMNI (US) or +1-206-523-4152 (Int'l) and they'll walk you through it.

Aw, what the heck, here's one way you can do it:

Cable up your iPad to your Mac. Launch iTunes, select the iPad in the source list (left column), click on the Apps tab on the right panel, scroll down to the bottom and select OmniFocus in the Apps section of File Sharing. Now in the Documents area that appears to the right, select OmniFocus.ofocus and click Save To... where you will save the database file to your desktop. Launch OmniFocus on the Mac, then double-click the OmniFocus.ofocus file you saved to your desktop, which will bring up your iPad's database in a separate OmniFocus window. Drag and drop any actions/projects that you created on the iPad into your main OmniFocus window. When you are done, click the sync button on your Mac, and wait for the sync to complete. After it does, launch OmniFocus on the iPad (no longer needs to be cabled to the Mac) and have it do a sync. When you are asked which database to keep, keep the sync database, into which you have just merged your iPad actions and projects. When the sync is complete, have a look at the data on the iPad and make sure everything looks correct. Now sync the iPhone and make sure it has everything.