View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Huh? What's stopping you?
Ok, maybe I need to clarify. I have to jump through more hoops/steps in order to do these things.

Before: Click "save as" > update name = two files.

Now: Click "duplicate" > wait for the duplicate to appear over the old window > click "save" > update name = two files.

Something like twice as many steps are required, now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
My understanding is that it is similar to how Time Machine works, except it is storing the difference between two versions instead of an entire copy. But the active file doesn't contain the history of all of the changes that made it what it is. That history is stored elsewhere in the disk volume. This isn't like Microsoft Word's "Fast Save" or whatever it was called where you could find evidence of previous revisions of the file. That said, if you want to keep a completely self-contained snapshot of your file at a given point, duplicate the file and name it accordingly.
That's what I was thinking, too. In that case, if that file becomes corrupt, you're screwed. Where as with using save-as like many of us used to do, we're automatically creating redundancy (although slightly out of date) on the fly.