View Single Post
Hi guys,

I want to share my set-up which has really improved my GTD implementation. I'm experimenting with Omni Focus as my GTD tool versus a Time/Design paper-based system. I don't want to pretend this is the only way to do it or I'm some kind of know-it-all. Trust me, I'm not.

The first thing I did was set-up traditional GTD contexts and then add two more: Someday/Maybe and Might Buy. They aren't contexts in the traditional sense but after some trial and error I found it unlocked the power of Omni Focus as a complete GTD system.

My Contexts:
Agendas
Anywhere
Calls
Computer
Errands
Home
Mac
Office
PC
Waiting For
Someday/Maybe
Might Buy

Then I made extensive use of folders as well as OF projects as things beyond just 10,000 foot projects. At 20,000 foot I could identify checklist items and "link" them to actions or Someday/Maybe or Might Buy. This solution came from my dislike of Miscellaneous in OF.

Folders:
10,000 Feet - Projects
20,000 Feet - Areas of Focus
30,000 Feet - Goals & Objectives
40,000 Feet - Vision
50,000 Feet - Purpose & Core Values

An example some things I've got @ 20,000 Feet is a folder structure of:

Bills & Finances
- Magazines
- Credit Cards ... then each credit card is an OF project. It might not have a next action but it does serve the purpose of a checklist item at my weekly review.

By limiting myself to no Miscellaneous items I'm finding that I get more complete at 20,000 feet and I'm actually defining things at 30-50,000 feet.

Hope this makes sense and, again, it works for me.

Mark