Thread: So S-L-O-W
View Single Post
Just got done doing some very informal benchmark testing using the stopwatch feature on my iPhone to time page loads in OW vs Safari.

What I found was when running 5.7x with history NOT set to clear upon quitting, OW was consistently slower loading every link and every page vs Safari. Safari felt MUCH quicker because it WAS much quicker.

I then upgraded to the 8/15 5.8x sneaky peak build, cleared history and set history to clear upon quitting and then retested and OW is now running as fast or faster than Safari 3.x on my machine. Definitely yielded a performance improvement.

Told a friend who is a longtime user of OW who recently switched to Safari because of the performance issue, he upgraded to a sneaky peak build and changed his history settings and he got the same result, much better performance.

I hesitated using the sneaky peak builds because they would intermittently break my 1Password functionality but it appears if I just wait a few days before downloading the most current one that I'll be OK.

And what I found after installing SAFT and SafariStand on Safari was that even with those add ons, it was still a very poor imitation of OW, which I believe to be the best browsing experience on the Mac platform.

I’m very happy about this performance improvement.