View Single Post
In addition to replying to Matt about his article (yeah, I don't know why there are no comments for the TidBITs articles --- the "Talk" posts are completely separate, which is weird for the content that is directly related to their articles), I would strongly encourage The Omni Group staff to read the comments/posts in the TidBITs Talk forum post area of their website (comments to Matt's original article).

Also, if you complain about the behavior of various Cocoa widgets/code, that's just an excuse (and almost tantamount to whining). If the OS X provided widgets/code don't work properly, are buggy, or don't do what you want, guess what... write your own code... geesh... Work around things... that's what programmers are for... And, saying that you need some new feature of Leopard to make the GUI work is absurd. Simply, simplify, simplify. I seriously doubt that OmniFocus needs anything more than what is currently available.

And, don't feel like you have to follow everything David Allen says, like he's some sort of god (he isn't). I'll bet anyone a dollar that the most important part of DA's GTD system is about getting things written down and then regularly managing those things. People who are organized already do that. People who aren't will benefit most by adopting nearly any system.

So, an application like OF should help automate things, and even, dare I say, improve on what DA himself has proposed. OmniFocus should strive to be compatible with GTD, not hamstrung or limited by its particular idiosyncracies (something will come along in a few years that probably wipes out GTD).

GTD is not the be-all, end-all of task management... ;-)

It's been said before, but apparently most people need to hear it like a mantra... If someone takes the time and effort to provide feedback about your products especially that which may be critical, you better listen and not react defensively or with conceit... most everyone who provides feedback actually cares a lot about your products... And, just because you've designed and programmed an application doesn't mean you know everything... unfortunately, that kind of vibe seems to be put forth to often...

I do like OF and would love to see the items that Matt, the commenters at TidBITs Talk, and others have suggested get added in the future... Thanks for the work on OF, so far...

Last edited by D-Mac; 2008-05-14 at 12:21 PM..