View Single Post
Welcome to the world of OmniFocus!

As a fellow Things convert, maybe I can answer your questions (if not, I'm sure others will)!

1. One of the biggest differences between OF and Things is that OF lacks the tags that Things has. Originally I thought that the tags in Things were great, but I realized that I was just cluttering my thinking with them. The first thing I did in OF was to turn what were Tags in Things into Contexts in OF and then work on how I input tasks into OF. For example, if I needed to call my boss, I'd give that a "call" context, unless it was really urgent, then I'd give it an "urgent" context, a flag, or just put in under "boss." While Things appears to be very flexible, I found that I really didn't need to tag actions with more than one....any other information that I wanted to tag I'd just write in the actual to do.

2. Again, I'd handle this with either a "computer" context or perhaps a folder named "computer" in which I'd put all my tasks, or set up a custom perspective for any "computer" contexts.

3. While you can search for XYZ, there is no real way to filter it unless you use XYZ as your context. Again, part of the simplicity of OmniFocus is that you really only need to file actions by context and then make sure you keep it up.

Here's a real life example from my usual day (I'm a teacher, the school webmaster, on a bunch of committees, etc). When I get an email from my boss to add a flyer to the school website, in Things I'd put something like "add flyer to website" and then tag it with Boss, Website, School, Attachment, Online, Mac, etc as those are all relevant tags...in my opinion, this is TOO MUCH FOR SUCH A SIMPLE TASK.

With OmniFocus, I just hit control-O in Entourage and send the email to Omnifocus (this is a free Entourage to OF script that I LOVE). OF takes the header of the email "post to website" and makes this the title of the todo. I add the following to it for clarity "Add email attachment to website for boss" and then add it to the "online" context and give it a due date. I just need the one context, "online" because I need to be online to download the flyer from my email and then to upload it, and in order to be online, I have to be at a computer, so a "computer" context is redundant and unnecessary. I don't need a "boss" tag because it really has nothing to do with her, it just CAME from her. So really, all I need to know is where I have to be to get this task done and by what due date.

Hopefully this was of some help, if not, I highly suggest watching the OF screen casts, poking around in this forum, and checking out the OF documentation from Omni.