Thread: Clean Up
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBerry View Post
I have options set to clean up inbox when an item has a project and a context, yet it doesn't happen.
That preference setting means that the "clean up operation" simply should process items with a project and a context, not that it should necessarily process them immediately. On my system, this seems to be working as designed.

Quote:
I understand some peoples desire to have completed items hang around, but there are two way to achieve that without forcing the rest of us to suffer the same: either create two perspectives, one showing completed and one not, and switch to the second one once you're happy you've not inadvertently checked something you shouldn't have, or better still, make the behaviour optional.
I think you might be misunderstanding. The goal of the "clean up on demand" approach is not to allow people to keep completed actions around indefinitely, but rather to avoid having completed actions suddenly disappear as soon as you click them, like a rug being yanked out from beneath your feet.

In my view, having checked items immedaitely disappear can be very disorienting. Did I check the right one? Where did it suddenly go? What if I wanted to modify or copy the notes after checking the item off?

Besides, according to the manual, OmniFocus *does* clean up automatically, it just occurs on a delayed schedule (from page 29):

Quote:
It happens automatically every now and then, so that things stay tidy, but you can also clean up manually by clicking the Clean Up toolbar button, or choosing Clean Up from the Edit menu.
However, I guess I'd be open to a preference setting that determines how soon an action is "auto-cleaned" after being marked as complete (or at least a hidden default setting).

Quote:
If Word asked you to hit return twice at the end of every paragraph, just in case we didn't mean to, users would be up in arms.
The difference here is that when you hit return in Word, it doesn't make the previos paragraph suddenly disappear. All content is still visible and easily corrected - which wouldn't always be the case if actions immediately disappeared when completed in OmniFocus.

-Dennis