View Single Post
Hello all. Just bought OF and am working on implementing GTD in my life. Great forum you have here! My question is whether or not I'm on the right track with my problem/solution discussed below regarding multiple contexts and tagging.

I know OF doesn't currently support tagging or multiple contexts, but it seems that you can get similar functionality using the notes field and search or perspectives. Like many here, I want to be able to assign an action or project to a context (required resource, etc.), but also to a broader category (e.g. - one or more descriptive tags common among similar items). What I'm doing is using the notes field to "tag" items (actions or projects) by typing something like @finance. I also set the context for each item depending on the required resource, for example Errands-bank, At Computer, etc. When I want to review all of my finance items, I select library in Project mode and then do a search for @finance. This brings up everything. I then seem to be able to save that view as a new perspective that I label "Finance". In the future, when I want to see finance items, I can just click the new Finance perspective and it all pops right back up again. I preserve contexts, but also am able to effectively tag (or multiply tag) items. The only downside I see to this is having to remember and type in my tags each time I add an action or project. But this seems pretty trivial for what I gain in terms of organizational flexibility.

Apologies for the long post, but I'd like people's opinions on my solution here. Is this viable, does it scale, or is there something I'm missing here? Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!