View Single Post
I find the functionality of "Next action" in omnifocus lacking in it's ability to implement GTD methodology.

"Next action" only acts on actions that have been assigned a "due date" rather than listing the "next action" to move the project forward.

"Next action" filtering becomes useless unless I choose to assign due dates. But sometimes and for some projects, none of the actions have a "due date". They just need attention when and where possible and therefore i just order them in hierarchical way with the next action as the top action.

I work mainly in the planning mode - as my context rarely change. So, I do the collection, organising and processing in the planning mode. As well as the actual actioning of tasks, also in the planning mode.

In fact very few of my actions have a need to have a definite "due" date.

I experimented with using "due" dates for everything (for the sake of using them), but the list became bigger and bigger and unmanageable and now I have the same feeling of "due dates" as JRArseneau on a very much related post here: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRArseneau View Post
I agree, it'd be nice to see this as I too have a lot of actions that don't necessarily have due dates (I think I have an aversion to due dates).

I know you purchased OF, but you may want to look at "Things" as they have a different philosophy to this approach (not that I'm advocating for the competition!) :)
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...ghlight=action

SUMMARY
So this is a "feature request"

Can a "Next Action" show in every single project (regardless of whether or not it has due actions.

please let me know if i'm missing something obvious!